Resource: Writing The Future
So you want to write about the future. Whether it’s a dystopia, a utopia, or somewhere in between (perhaps hover-boards finally?), futuristic novels and stories are extremely popular today. But, as with all saturated markets, this comes as a double edged sword; you are sure to have a market, but you also must make sure that you’re writing something new, fresh, and original. Do not repeat the “futures” of the past (ha), but find a new spin on an old tale. Here are some resources I hope will help you to write a great new story set far into the future.
General Futuristic Writing:
- Creative Writing Prompts About the Future (Personal)
- Creative Writing Prompts About the Future (Fiction)
- Writing About the Future In Fiction
- Writing the Future: A Timeline of Science-Fiction
- Write A Futuristic Story: The Steps
- How is Writing a Futuristic Story Like Writing a Historical?
- Writing Futuristic Fiction in a Science Fiction World
- How to Create a Futuristic World
- Looking Toward the Futuristic
- Futuristic Stories for Reference
- How to Write Science Fiction
- Top 5 Tips for Writing Science Fiction
How to Write a Dystopia:
- How to Set Up an Oppressive Government
- 5 Tips to Writing a Dystopian
- How to Write a Dystopian Novel
- What is a Dystopian Story?
- So You Want to Write a YA Dystopian?
- Why I Hate Your Dystopian Society
- Some Tips on Writing Dystopian Society
- What Makes a Good YA Dystopian Novel?
How to Write a Utopia:
As always, most of these sources will just help you to set the scene: create your world and the motivations of the people living in it. They will not, however, teach you how to make the characters themselves. Futuristic characters are no different than the characters of today—they simply have better technology and different motivations. You still must focus on their own personal psychology, wants, needs, and interests.