Happy Birthday, Benjamin Alire Sáenz, born 16 August 1954
- Words were different when they lived inside of you.
- I got to thinking that poems were like people. Some people you got right off the bat. Some people you just didn’t get–and never would get.
- We all fight our own private wars.
- I wondered what that was like, to hold someone’s hand. I bet you could sometimes find all of the mysteries of the universe in someone’s hand.
- To be careful with people and with words was a rare and beautiful thing.
Sáenz is an American poet, novelist and writer of children’s books.