So when I write, I like thinking about my audience as two people: the New Reader and the Rereader
It’s a little thing, but like –
- Will the new reader understand what’s going on even without any prior knowledge?
- Is the exposition super boring if you already grasp what’s being explained?
- Are there in-jokes for the rereader to find? (and could they be distracting for the newcomer?)
- Is the conflict still engaging after the novelty wears off?
- Will knowing how the story ends add to the tension – or will it spoil the fun?
Thinking this way has been so helpful for me ‘cause it forces me to consider angles I might not have noticed otherwise – and once I got the knack for that, it made my writing process Smoother and my writing So Much Stronger