Hello, dear. I get asked this often and 4/5 times it’s about New York City, so you’re getting a resource list so I can just direct people to your ask from now on!
Writing Real-Life Locations
How To Write About A Real Location If You Haven’t Been There
- 7 Tips for Writing About Places You’ve Never Been
How to Write Creative Nonfiction: Writing about Place
How To Write About Place In Creative Nonfiction
Misplaced: why do novelists disguise real locations?
Basics of Describing Settings
- How to Describe the Setting in a Story
Discover The Basic Elements of Setting In a Story
How to Write Descriptions and Create a Sense of Place
Fictional vs. Real Settings: Which Are Best?
Writing About New York [City]
- my list of NYC writing links & tips
- Humans of New York (for local character/lifestyle examples)
- Google, bro. everyone and their grandma has written about NYC.
Have fun researching! Consider taking a trip, if you can!…I’ll be jealous…
+ If you benefit from my updates and replies, please consider sending a little thank you and Buy Me A Coffee!